Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Take Two

A cheery good morning! I have good news for all of you-- the millions of you-- who were disappointed they weren't able to go to the Monday night showing of The LOVE Documentary! There is another one tomorrow night! I know what you're thinking, "But Alison went on Monday and I really just wanted to go so I could sit next to her." Well, you're in luck! I never made it to the Monday night show! But I am going with a small group of friends tomorrow (at 7:30), so if you want to fight over the two seats next to me you're welcome to come. I'm sure it will be good times for all.

In other news, last night Rachel and I watched a Finnish movie!


It's called "Mother of Mine" or "Aideista parhain" and is set during World War II, first in Finland and then in Sweden. So apparently during WWII tens of thousands of Finnish children were sent to Sweden to avoid the conflict, and this particular story follows a 9 year old boy who, like any other kid, has trouble adjusting to the changes that are forced on him. Finland was in a particularly bad spot because they were allied with the Germans but share a border with Russia, an enemy of the Germans. In the story the main character, Eero, finds himself with two mothers, one who he feels abandoned him, and the other who is a complete stranger. Anyway, the film won 3 Finnish Oscars, a bunch of film festival awards and it made me cry so I thought it was great. Plus, it's always great to learn something new about Scandinavia!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That is so... sweet.